Thought I'll write a quick tutorial on how to edit the Google Chrome default theme. This is probably not the best method but it is a simple one I have used successfully and can act as a starting point for new people wanting to edit themes themselves. So lets get started,
*Resource Hacker (free download from http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/
*Image editing utility capable of editing png files. (M$ Paint will do for now)
So extract resource hacker to a folder on your pc. Then find out your windows username that you are logged in as an find the chrome theme default.dll file.
This can usually be located in:
c:\document and settings\*username here*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\0.2.149.27\Themes\d efault.dll
**Do note that the version numbering can change current version is 0.2.149.27 I believe**
**Also if you can't seem to locate the Local Settings folder make sure that you can see hidden files and folders, this can be changed by going to Tools --> Folder Options --> View and changing the radio button to: Show hidden files and folders **
Copy this file to the same folder where you extracted the reshacker.exe.
1. Start up Reshacker and navigate to File --> Open...
2. Select the default.dll and click Open
3. Now expand the BINDATA folder and right click on it.
4. Select Save [ BINDATA ] resources ...
5. I recommend creating a new folder such as ChromeImages and as filename type in definitions and hit Save
6. Reshacker will extract 551 resources to the specified folder once that is done you may close the resource hacker utility.
7. Navigate to your Chrome Images folder and open a command line prompt
8. On the command line prompt if not already at your new ChromeImages folder navigate to that location.
9. then run the following command: ren *.bin *.png
This will rename all the data files extracted to png files.
10. Now open the PNG files you wish to edit with your favourite image editing tool and make the changes required.
11. Open the definitions.rc file in notepad
12. Now lets say you edited a file called Data_272.bin what you want to do is in the definitions.rc file find the corresponding 4 digit code which in case of this file is 9380
Make a note of all of the files you have edited and the corresponding reference numbers.
13. Copy all the images you have edited to the same folder where reshacker.exe and default.dll are.
14. This step is a little tedious but run the following command line commands for each of the files you have edited:
Reshacker.exe -addoverwrite default.dll, default.dll, Data_XX.png, BINDATA, XxxX,
You need to run this command for each image you have edited and replace Data_XX.png with the corresponding file so in my case Data_272.png and XxxX with the 4 digit reference code which is in my case 9380 so for me the above line would be:
Reshacker.exe -addoverwrite default.dll, default.dll, Data_272.png, BINDATA, 9380,
This will create a file called ResHacker.log which you may open in notepad to see whether any errors were encountered. If everything went fine it will state Commands Completed at the end of the file.
Now take a backup of the original default.dll which you have stored in:
c:\document and settings\*username here*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\0.2.149.27\Themes\
Close down Chrome and replace the default.dll file located in the above folder with the newly created one residing in your resource hacker folder.
Restart Chrome and enjoy the fruits of your labour
Please note that I take no responsibility at all for any damage caused by following the above instructions and you do so at your own risk.
Also I am aware that the above instructions are not comprehensive and may have errors. I have quickly typed this up at work and will make a better version once I get home. I will also be creating a set of tools to help make editing all of this a nicer experience for everyone
I would like to thank Vhanla at this forum for the Reshacker command line and all other posters who contribute.
Any questions, suggestions, fixes, tips, tricks, flame, negative feedback etc please reply to this post. Moderators feel free to move, edit, delete or whatever with this post as you see fit I just ask that you leave it as intact as possible.
Enjoy and lets see some great themes being created.