Thread: Tip: how to bookmark and create application shortcuts for "about:" pages

Thanks

Lightbulb Tip: how to bookmark and create application shortcuts for "about:" pages

I won't bother reposting all of the interesting "about:____" addresses that are possible in Google Chrome, but I noticed that bookmarking these "about" pages is *disabled*.
    (ie: when on an "about:" page, the Star icon to the left of the address bar, aka the 'omnibox' is not clickable). I also noticed that "create application shortcuts" was disabled (I was thinking of putting the "about:network" tool in its own window).. but I found a solution!

So here's my little tip for the day:

To bookmark an "about:" page:
    • on any random webpage that IS bookmarkable, click the Star
    • in the Bookmarks pop-out, click "Edit"
    • in the URL field, delete what is present and replace it with your "about:" code (ex: "about:network", without the quotes)
    • in the Name field, type an appropriate new name for the bookmark
    • click Done

To create an application for an "about:" page:
    • on any random page that IS bookmarkable, click the Page Control icon (that's the one to the left of the Wrench icon) and choose "create application shortcuts"
    • in the 'Gears' dialog that opens, select your shortcut target (ex: Quick Launch bar);
      note: we are going to edit the shortcut in a second, so keep in mind if you choose all of the available targets, you will have to manually edit each one)
    • Click "OK"
    • Find the shortcut (on your Desktop, Quick Launch bar or Start Menu, as the case may be), right-click on it and choose 'Properties'
    • Click the 'General' tab and give the application a new name (note: no colons or special characters allowed)
    • Click the 'Shortcut' tab, and edit the 'Target' field, replacing the displayed URL which appears after the text "--app=" with your preferred "about:" address.
      example:
      Change:
      "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=http://www.somepage.com/page.html

to:
      "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=about:network
    • Try it out!
    Last edited by RenegadeX; 09-17-2008 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Tip: how to bookmark and create application shortcuts for "about:" pages

great! i was trying to bookmark a about with any result!

tnks

Thanks

Default Re: Tip: how to bookmark and create application shortcuts for "about:" pages

That's a clever one, thanks for the tip!

Thanks

is there a way to make a Bookmark button on the Main tool area. I really like that I have more Webspace than tool bar space. Opening the bookmark bar is minimizes good realestate. And there are still some people out there not not used to using the Ctrl button like MrsAnd3r5on ;p

Thanks

Fantastic tip, thanks!

Thanks

Thanks for the tips man ..^^
    Ribonzz
    Free ebooks

Thanks

Hi Renegade,
    I can't thank you enough for the informative post. Creating an application for the page was where I was facing some problem and was trying to get some help but to no avail until I found this site and Your Post

Wood fireplace | Wood burning fireplace

Thanks

The above post is so useful.Can you also suggest me How to create shortcut for home page too.
    Trace landline number

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this. Very informative thread. keep posting it.

Thanks

?C?P NH?T B?NG GIÁ NGÀY 01/08/2017 - ID: 1G80N8N2F91N182H5?
    ?Nh??*n T?ng Like Facebook Giá Ch? T? 100?/Like - Like Th??*t, L?c Like ?o.
    ?Nh??*n Ch?y Qu?ng Cáo Facebook Giá Ch? T? 3.000.000?/tháng - Ch?n Target Theo Yêu C?u.
    ?Nh??*n T?ng L??t Theo Dõi Facebook Cá Nhân Giá Ch? T? 150?/Subcribe - Nhanh, Th??*t, T??ng Tác T?t.
    ?Nh??*n T?ng L??t Xem Video Livestream Th?c Giá Ch? T? 30?/View - Nh??*n ??n 1.000.000 View/ Videos.
    ?Nh??*n M? Khóa T?*i Kho?n B? Khóa, Vô Hi?u Hóa Giá ch? t? 1.000.000?/t?*i kho?n - ??m B?o V? Trong 72 Gi?.
    ?Nh??*n T?ng L??t Theo Dõi Instagram Giá Ch? T? 180?/Followers.
    ?Nh??*n T?ng L??t Xem Trên Youtube V?* Các D?ch V? Khác Giá Ch? T? 50?/Views - Nhanh Chóng, Th??*t 100%.
    ?Nh??*n ??i Tên Fanpage Nhanh Chóng Giá Ch? T? 300.000/Trang - Nhanh Chóng, An To?*n, Ti?t Ki?m.
    ?Nh??*n ??ng Tin Qu?ng Cáo Lên 250 Trang Rao V?t Giá Ch? T? 50.000/L?n ??ng - Hi?u Qu? Cao, SEO T?t.
    ?Nh??*n Thi?t K? Website Bán H?*ng Giá 1.500.000?/Trang - Nhanh Chóng, H? Tr? 12 Tháng, B?o H?*nh Tr?n ??i
    ?NGOÀI RA: B?ng Nh??*n Mua Dùm Fanpage Cho Khách H?*ng Theo L?nh V?c Có S?n Nh?: M? Ph?m, Gi?m Cân, L?*m ??p,...
    ?T?i Sao Ch?n Chúng Tôi L?* Nh?* Cung C?p:
    ?Chúng tôi l?* công ty chuyên cung c?p các gi?i pháp t?ng Like Fanpage Facebook m?t cách hi?u qu?.
    ?Kinh nghi?m 07 n?m trong l?nh v?c Marketing online, ch?*nh vì th? chúng tôi có th? ??m nh??*n thay b?n vai trò Marketing Facebook.
    i ng? nhân viên chúng tôi c ??*o t?o thông qua nh?ng khóa h?c do các Trung tâm n?i ti?ng ??*o t?o.
    ?Chúng tôi c Facebook c?p gi?y ch?ng nh??*n ??*o t?o v?* ??t tiêu chu?n Marketing trên h? th?ng c?a h?.
    ?YÊU C?U:
    - G??*i thông tin TÊN D?CH V? ORDER, S? L??NG, H? TÊN, ??A CH?, S?T, EMAIL ?? bên mình l?*m h?p ??ng v?* phi?u thu
    ------------------------------
    *M?i chi ti?t th?c m?c xin vui lòng liên h?:
    Công ty TNHH DV Gi?i Pháp Ti?p Th?
    *VP?D: 74 Nguy?n C??*u ??*m, ph??ng Tân S?n Nhì, qu??*n Tân Phú, TP.HCM
    *Mã S? Thu?: 0313 285 427
    *Hotline: (02 66 852 792
    ??TD?: 0165 4444 808
    ?Email: congtygiaiphaptiepthi@gmail.com
    ?Website: www.giaiphaptiepthi.vn