Thread: How to read the contents of Chrome databases (ie. cookies, apps, extensions, etc.)

Thanks

Red face How to read the contents of Chrome databases (ie. cookies, apps, extensions, etc.)

I found the answer to this question in this forum, but I didn't like the answer because it involved installing Firefox. I use Chrome...why would I want to install Firefox? Besides they're new policy of releasing updates every 3 to 6 months is a pain and a security nightmare. There's no way that short of a life cycle allows enough time for proper bug testing and checking for security loopholes. Not to mention every time a new update comes out, a good percentage of the extensions aren't compatible because it takes the extension developers a little time to update them.

But, I digest...onto the original purpose of this thread.

Go to the following link SQLite Browser, select the link labeled "Sourceforge Project Pages" in the upper right and download the latest version of "SQLite Browser" (I am in no way affiliated with this project and all of the downloaded files scanned virus free using Jotti's Online Scanner as of 11/24/11). It's a zip file, so unzip it to a location you can remember and double click the .exe file to run the app (there's nothing to install). The app will start and then you just need to browse to "C:\Users\%user name%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\databases" and open the database you want to look inside of. Once it's open, on the first tab, "Database Structure", you can see the names of the various sets of data and tables that make up the database. To see the actual data in the tables, select the second tab, "Browse Data", and use the drop down to select the table you want to look at.

It's that easy. However, I would just look and not touch, unless you know SQLite. Changing data in these databases could cause problems in Chrome. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks

Thanks for the tip,jcclow!