Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple versions of Chrome

Thanks

Default Multiple versions of Chrome

Hi,
    As a webdeveloper I like to have multiple versions of browsers installed (previous, current and beta), I have no problem to do this with MSIE, FF, Opera but I've spent last several hors trying to install, uninstall, move folders with Chrome 2, and Chrome 3, but I cannot do it.

Is there a way to have multiple versions of Chrome installed on computer?

Thanks

Bronislav Klucka

Thanks

Yes create X amount of new users for your PC install what version you want per user. This is the only way that I have heard of so far.

Thanks

Of course I see this this solution as well as using virtualisation, second computer for testing, whatever. That's not what I'm looking for. I can run simultaneously several versions of other browsers, I'd like to do it with Chrome as well.

Bronislav Klucka

Thanks

just a thought

Chrome makes use of this folder when it is in action
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data

install Chrome dev to C:\Program Files\Chrome
    install Chrome stable to C:\Program Files\Chrome1
    install Chrome beta to C:\Program Files\Chrome2

create a new User Data folder; create a shortcut for Chrome stable and point it to the new User Data and adding the following to the shortcut
    -user-data-dir="X:\Chrome\User Data"
    and do the same for Chrome beta

merely for discussion

Thanks

1/ There is no way how to specify the target location of installation, all versions are automatically installed in the same location
    2/ I've tried to install one version, move it to another location and specify User Dir at this new location, it worked, but after I've installed second version, the first one sease to work

Google is and has been web development oriented company, I do not understant this obsticle for other webdevelopers....

Bauglir

Thanks

not sure whether this will work :-)

Install stable Chrome; move the folder to ChromeS; create a shortcut with the parameter pointing to the location of User Data
    Install beta Chrome; move the folder to ChromeB; create a shortcut with the parameter pointing to the location of User Data and
    Install dev Chrome;

IF it should work, the headache will come when it comes to updates of Chrome :-)

(I forgot that Chrome doesn't install to the default Program Files)

Thanks

Thumbs up Solution

A finally have a solution, this is registry data problem:
    How to do it then (this is an example for 2.0.172.39 and 3.0.197.11, I'll try it with next versions as they will come, let's assume I've started with Chrome 2):

1/ Install Chrome 2, you'll find it Application Data folder, since I'm from Czech republic and my name is Bronislav Klučka the path looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bronislav Klučka\Local Settings\Data aplikací\Google\Chrome

and run Chrome

2/ Open registry and save
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Update\Clients\{ 8A69D345-D564-463c-AFF1-A69D9E530F96}]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Update\ClientSta te\{8A69D345-D564-463c-AFF1-A69D9E530F96}]

keys, put them into one chrome2.reg file and copy this file next to chrome.exe (ChromeDir\Application)

3/ Rename Chrome folder to something else (e.g. Chrome2)

4/ Install Chrome 3, it will install to Chrome folder again and run Chrome
    5/ Save the same keys (there are changes due to different version) and save it to the chrome3.reg file next to chrome.exe file of this new version again
    6/ Rename the folder again (e.g. Chrome3)

the result would be that there is no Chrome dir (only Chrome2 and Chrome3)

7/ Go to the Application folder of Chrome2, create chrome.bat file with this content:
    @echo off
    regedit /S chrome2.reg
    START chrome.exe -user-data-dir="C:\Docume~1\Bronis~1\LocalS~1\Dataap~1\Google \Chrome2\User Data"
    rem START chrome.exe -user-data-dir="C:\Documents and Settings\Bronislav Klučka\Local Settings\Data aplikací\Google\Chrome2\User Data"

the first line is generic batch command, the second line will update registry with the content of chrome2.ref file, the third lines starts Chrome pointing to passed directory, the 4th line is commented and will not be run.

Notice short name format passed as -user-data-dir parameter (the full path is at the 4th line), the problem is that Chrome using this parameter has a problem with diacritics (Czech characters)

8/ Do 7/ again for Chrome 3, update paths and reg file name in bat file for Chrome 3

Try run both bat files, seem to be working, both versions of Chrome are running simultaneously.

Updating:
    Running "About" dialog displays correct version, but an error while checking for new one. To correct that do (I'll explain form Chrome2 folder):
    1/ rename Chrome2 to Chrome
    2/ Go to Chrome/Application folder
    3/ run chrome2.reg file
    4/ run chrome.exe
    (works the same for Chrome3)
    now the version checking works. There has been no new version of Chrome since I've find this whole solution up. But I assume that update will be downloaded to this folder so all you need to do is to update reg file after update and rename Chrome folder back to Chrome2. I'll update this post after successfull Chrome update.

Bronislav Klucka
    Last edited by Bauglir; 08-08-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks

The result is that this is ONLY registry problem, no colliding library or anything else. The fact that there is no simple way to have more versions of Chrome seems to be quite stupid at this point.

Bronislav Klucka

Thanks

thanks for the explanation;
    just wondering whether it would be better running portable Chrome?

I am running Chromium, dev Chrome (installed) and Stable Chrome (portable)

Thanks

Default Cheap New Mulberry Women Bags Shop

TRX Suspension Bands

Mulberry Bella Hobo are the most favored Mulberry Bags getting superior need while in the current market.

Customized Nike NFL Jersey

Chinese Mulberry Bags's shops are currently really renowned between many of the persons; belong to any part of your environment as a result of their weird choices with regard to having tailored Mulberry Bags in wholesale price tag range.

UGG Boots 5879 Classic Argyle Knit

You can find 32 teams divided as two groups namely American Soccer Conference and Countrywide Football Convention.

TRX Pro Pack + Anchor Deur

You are able to be blessed ample to individual an reliable jersey as almost all of the apparels bought on both of these internet sites are labeled as genuine and legitimate.

Customized NFL Jersey

For your participant, the gear is not an elective product but a requirement which likes persons need to have h2o every day.

UGG Boots 5828 Roxy Short

Therefore the possibilities outlined under are limitless.

TRX Rip Trainer Basic Kit

Odds are, immediately after slightly work, you'll find a wonderful price cut within the sports activities shop in direction of you.

Customized NCAA Jersey

In case your alternative is just on a sure player then you definately can make an exact duplicate of his jersey along with his identify and number.

UGG 1878 Fringe Cardy

A very powerful aspect of the cheap stitched Mulberry Bags enterprise is acquiring skilled prints, and that means you will be proud about just about every jersey that you just market.

TRX Pro Pack + T¨¹r-Anker

This replica uniform is fabricated from heavy-duty polyester mesh that will be machine washed without trouble.

Customized NHL Jersey

But some sites are very good ample and trustworthy as well.

UGG 5829 Jimmy Choo

We all happen to be intrinsically tribal in naturel, by putting on your teams colors proudly you'll be able to display on the earth which group you follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast