Thread: Multiple copies of Chrome in task manager!?

Thanks

Default Multiple copies of Chrome in task manager!?

Hi,

Using WinXP PS3 with Avast, Online Armor, MBAM, and Trojanhunter. I have the latest stable version of Chrome. I can't find this "problem" mentioned anywhere in the FAQ etc ... when I launch Chrome, I have two or three (!) copies of chrome.exe listed in Windows task manager. When I first noticed the problem, it was three; when I tried just now, to see if it was reproducible, it was two. Whenever I've checked, since I noticed this weirdness few days ago, Firefox (my preferred browser) has only ever had one copy, as I would expect. But that's the only one that behaves as I expect, since I started checking. Tonight, IE had two copies of itself, and so did Safari (that I just installed tonight).

I say it's a problem because it seems pretty suspect to me. The actual browsers all seem to work fine. But what are the "shadow" copies doing? Should I suspect malware? Nothing shows up in my security software.

Andy

Thanks

Welcome to ChromeSpot

One tab of Chrome gives you one process (starting with 2 processes when you start Chrome)

One extension also gives you one process

with 6 tabs and 10 extensions, it would give you 17 processes

try Shift + Esc

Thanks

Hi Sulasno,

Aha! Now I understand. It doesn't like it if you try and close down the new tab though :-)

Interesting, there must be some fundamental difference of architecture between Firefox and all the rest, then.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks

the purpose of each tab running on it's own process is that if one tab crashes, it doesn't bring down the browser

however extensions running in each tab can bring the tabs down; resulting in a number of tabs aw snap